Wednesday, November 16, 2011

Gobble, Gobble, Gobble

I know a lot of people complain about how Thanksgiving gets overlooked in our rush to Christmas. Halloween comes and goes and then it seems like everyone starts to focus on Christmas.  As a crafter, I do that as a survival tactic.  Holding a Christmas Class in December isn't going to cut it most of the time.  So I start my Christmas crafting even before Halloween.

But I do LOVE Thanksgiving.  There is something about a day set aside to thank God for all the goodness in our lives, to gather with family, friends and feast on our bounty.  It probably doesn't hurt that my birthday sometimes falls on Thanksgiving too.

So today, I'm sharing with you a Thanksgiving project instead of a Christmas one.  I made these turkeys for the Sweet Treats Cup Swap I hosted at Convention this year:

Colors: Riding Hood Red, Pumpkin Pie, More Mustard, Old Olive, Soft Suede, Early Espresso.  Big Shot: Scallop Circle #2. Punches: 2-1/2", 1-3/4" and 1-3/8" circles, modern label, Owl and Cupcake Builder Punch. Accessories: Sweet Treat Cups.
I know I looked at a few other punch art turkeys to inspire this but took ideas from all of them to create this.  I used the Owl Builder Punch for the eyes and beak (it's the heart) and the cupcake punch (the flame from candle) for the waddle. I inked all the pieces to give it a bit more dimension too.  Wouldn't they be cute sitting on your Thanksgiving table?

And it's been a while since I shared with you a song.  So in honor of the Christmas crazies that strike earlier and earlier each year, I'm going to share a song by one of my favorite acappella groups, Straight No Chaser, that celebrates the time between Halloween and Christmas.  Enjoy!

7 comments:

Yapha said...

Too cute!! I love the Modern Label punch for his tail feathers!

Shelley Z said...

Mr Turkey is so sweet! Love the tail feathers!

Anonymous said...

Such a cute turkey. :)
Funny video - Thanks for the laugh!

Heidi Baks said...

Very cute, and Little Missy loved the video! I usually dig my heels in this time of year, enjoying Thanksgiving time as best as possible. Except for SAS and club prep of course. Celebrate the turkey! ;)

Jen Timko said...

That turkey is adorable. Love him!! I have been fighting moving right to Christmas this year too. Video is hilarious!

Anonymous said...

Cutie Pie Turkey is very personable and TFS the animated version of one of MY favorite groups

Heidi Baks said...

Back to tell you that we've been back several times for your video!