Wednesday, March 5, 2014

Getting back to my "Jobby!"


Around here, we lovingly refer to my Stampin' Up! business as my "Jobby."  It's not really just a hobby, but it definitely more than just a job too.  However, for the past several months, a lot of energy that I previously spent on my jobby has instead been spent on politics.  I've been a district co-captain for a citizen initiative here in Utah to change the way candidates for office get elected.  I don't want to turn this into a political discussion because who wants to mix stamping with politics?  One is beautiful, and one just plain isn't.  All that is really important to know is that is winding down as a compromise makes it's way through the State Legislature and I can start to feel my life going back to what it was before.


This whole thing was kind of a test for me to see if I was ready to give up my jobby and go back to the career I left shortly after my first son came along.  The answer actually surprised me.  I really, really missed being creative and spending time making beautiful things.  I ♥ my jobby and I am so excited to get back to it on a more regular basis!

And to kick that off, I am actually going to play along in the Fab Friday Challenge for this week.  It's been a goal of mine to play in more challenges but I just never seem to get around to it.  Well, fortunately, a project I made for stamp club last week fits perfectly with this color challenge:

Colors: Bermuda Bay, Strawberry Slush, Basic Black, Whisper White and Crushed Curry.  Stamps: Starburst Sayings.  Big Shot: Starburst Framelits.  Punch: Banner and Envelope Punch Board. Accessories: Kaleidoscope Designer Series Paper.




The basic directions for this box were found on Pinterest but when I went back to find the right person to credit, I found a million of these boxes in many different sizes.  For this box,  I started with an 8" square paper and then using the punched and scored on each side at 3" and 5".  (Instead of lining up the box with the previous score line when you rotate the paper, each side was scored at 3" and 5".)  And to hold the box shut, I made a belly band and used the Starburst Sayings Stamp Set and Framelit bundle to make the tag for the front.  And I just can't stop using that banner punch to make little accent pieces.  Everyone needs this punch!

Here is a side view of the box too:

Hopefully I will have lots of new things to show you over the next several weeks.  Come back Friday to see another Stampin' Addict Blog Hop featuring the Hidden Treasures Stampin' Up! has given us over the past several months (items not featured in any catalog).  And then next Monday is a bonus edition of The Stamp Review Crew featuring Happy Congratulations from the Occasions Catalog.  See you back here then!

2 comments:

Brian King said...

Paula, What a beautiful way to incorporate all the colors without being overpowering about it. Lovely project! Thanks for playing along with this FabFriday challenge.

Amanda Mertz said...

Nifty box! I like the mostly white DSP against the Bermuda Bay box...really lets the light shine on the starburst! Thanks for sharing at Fab Friday!