Monday, May 11, 2009

Altered DVD Tin Album and Blog Candy Winner

First of all, a big thank you to everyone who visited during the Stampin' Addict Parade of Papers Blog Hop. I hope it was as much fun for you as it was for me. And it looks like there might be some more Stampin' Addicts Blog Hops in the future so stay tuned! If you want to see more work by the fabulous demos who were part of the hop, be sure the visit the galleries and forums at Stampin' Addicts too.

And drum roll please. . . . The winner of my very first blog candy is #32 or stamperjf. I had so much fun with this blog candy, that I am sure I'll do it again soon!

I had so many comments on the Altered DVD Tin Album that I thought I would share how I created it. I got the idea from Splitcoast Stampers so it's not all mine. They really aren't hard at all. (The hardest part is finding the DVD tins. I got mine from effectuality.com in a bulk buy that I did with my Swappers Anon Sisters a month or two ago.) I am featuring these albums at my up coming Stampin' Buffet on May 30 too if anyone wants to come make one from a pre cut kit.

The one I am going to show you how to do is the Father's Day one I made as a class sample. It features the To the Nines Specialty Designer Series Paper but the directions are the same for both. Here is what you need to make it:

A DVD Tin (remove the plastic DVD holder inside)
Designer Series Paper (measurements to follow)
Card Stock (measurement to follow)
Sticky Strip
Jumbo Eyelets
Crop-A-Dile
10-15 Clear Translucent Envelopes
A large corner rounder (if you don't have one, you can trace the corners and cut them to match)
Scallop Edge Punch (optional)
Ribbon, stamps, and other embellishments of your choice.

For the Cover:
2 1/2" x 7 1/4" strip of Designer Series Paper for the top
2" x 7 1/4 strip of coordinating Designer Series Paper for the bottom
1 1/2" x 7 1/4" strip of a coordinating Designer Series Paper for the middle
2 x 7 1/4" strip of coordinating solid card stock (if you aren't going to use an edge punch on it, you can make it 1 3/4") to go under the middle piece

Round the top and bottom corners. Punch the middle mat with the scallop edge punch if you wish. Adhere the cover pieces to the lid with Sticky Strip or other strong adhesive. Decorate it more with ribbons, stamps, a monogram or how ever you'd like.

For the inside lid:
5 x 7 1/8 piece of coordinating Designer Series Paper

Round the corners and adhere to the inside of the lid.

For the Album:
5 x 8 1/2" piece of Designer Series Paper scored 1 1/4" from the left hand edge

Remove the protective tape from the adhesive on one of the flaps from the clear envelopes. Center it top to bottom about an 1/8" in from the score line as shown in the picture. Stack the others envelopes on top of the first, using the adhesive strips to stick them together.


Fold at the score line so it covers most of the envelope flaps that are now stuck together. Use the Crop-A-Dile to puch the holes and set the jumbo eyelets about 1 1/2 inches in on each side. I added a little ribbon know between the eyelets. Adhere to the bottom of the book. Now it is ready to fill with pictures!

These would make a great Father's Day gift because it's a tin and kind of tough you know. (Insert you best Tim the Toolman Taylor grunts here.) But it would also make a lovely baby gift or a commemorative album for a vacation. The possibilities are endless.

Hope you have a wonderful day. Thanks for spending part of it here with me. Happy stamping!

2 comments:

Jean Fitch from jlfstudio said...

Thanks Paula for the Altered Tin tutorial. And for the generous blog candy that another lucky stamper won. Thanks too for leaving the blog hop entry up on your blog. Several of the bloggers have pulled the entire entry and it was very disappointing not to be able to go back and check out the projects after bookmarking them.

I'll look forward to visiting you again. I've been sharing your link with my newsletter crew and they are really enjoying your work.

Hugs and blessings - Jean Fitch

Kathy said...

What a great tutorial! These dvd tins are so cute!