Monday, August 27, 2012

MDS Monday: Watermark Feature

It's Monday again.  That means it's time for MDS Monday and today I am featuring a super easy new feature from MDS2: using the watermark feature for stamps and punches.  In the original MDS software, you could turn any image into a "watermark" by changing the opacity.  But in MDS2, it is even easier since they've built it right into to the color feature.

The first step is to open a project and insert a stamp image over your background.  This technique is perfect to use with the overlay stamps to create your own DSP.  Here, I've added one of the Vintage Overlay Stamps over the entire background of the page.  (Vintage Overlays is included in MDS2+).  The next step is to pick the "change color" feature under the Design Center.  (I've circled it in red).

In the "choose color" window, you will see the very last option on your palette is a square with the letter "w" in it.  That is your watermark feature:


When you select watermark, the overlay image creates a subtle, texture image over your original background color like this:


You can do this with any stamp to make a background for your project.  Here I've used a couple of images from Artist Etchings (also included with MDS2+):


Stamps aren't the only feature you can watermark.  You can use the same technique with punches as well.  Here is an example where I used the snowflake punches to create soft images on a project:

And here is my semi-completed project.  I used the punches from above and then I also used the watermark feature on the Dot, Dot, Dot stamp on the bottom of the page.
Colors: Marina Mist, Whisper White, Not Quite Navy, Riding Hood Red.  Digital Stamp Brush: Dot, Dot, Dot  Digital Punches: Snowflake, Snowflake Trimmings 1&2, Tasteful Trim Shape 2.  Embellishments: Regal Buttons, Latte Buttons, Grosgrain Ribbon and Knot.
I say semi-completed because I haven't added and journaling. And actually, in MDS I have a hard time deciding when my page is done.  I do feel like this is missing something so if you have an idea, please post it in the comment section below.

Ready to try this feature for yourself, head on over to my store and get your own 30-day free trial of MDS2.  And I'm so excited because the 31% off for 31 Days on MDS print projects has been extended to 45 days!  The last few weeks have been a little off at our house so I'm thrilled to have the time to finish up those projects I've started. 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing info about the feature; I wasn't sure what it was.

Yapha said...

Oh I love how you used that the feature! The snowflakes are fabulous! A cute addition to that snowman page would be a little filmstrip at the bottom of pictures of your boys making it, if you have them.

Mickey Roberts said...

Great tutorial, Paula! I think the page is missing the frozen hands of the folks who built that snowman. Great page!