Monday, August 20, 2012

MDS Monday: Recoloring Paper and Embellishments

I hope you enjoyed the Blog Hop this weekend.  If you missed it, all the sites should be deep linked together so you can still see all the fabulous projects and ideas from the Holiday Catalog by starting here: STAMPIN' ADDICTS HOLIDAY CATALOG BLOG HOP

On Wednesday and Friday this week, I'll be sharing the details of my projects, but today is MDS Monday!  We've had a few things come up at our house this weekend so I am behind on my MDS projects, but I still wanted to share a fun new feature of MDS2 with you today: recoloring Designer Series Paper and Embellishments.  Sometimes the ones included with the kits are just not quite right for the pictures you have in mind.  And I love that they have given us this option.

First: recoloring DSP.  The easiest way I have found to do this is by adding a page layer.  You do this in the Background Papers menu in the Design Center (on the right of your screen, first option) or the Resource Palate (left side of the screen, last option).  I've circled the "Add as Page Layer" feature in the Design Center Menu below. 

And here is what it looks like on the Resource Palate.  Again, I've circled the "Add as Page Layer" feature in red:

When you do that, it actually converts your page layer to a photo box, filled with Designer Series Paper.  I wanted the DSP to fill the entire page so I needed to recrop it and stretch it to the screen.  You do this by picking the crop feature under Photos on the Design Center or by double clicking on the layer: 

The window you get looks like this:

To fill the entire page, move your box up to the top left corner and then drag the bottom right corner until the entire image is selected.  If you only want part of the DSP on your page, then select the portion and shape that you'd like.

Once you have your paper to the size you'd like, you are ready to recolor it. Simply click on the "recolor" option under your Photo menu in the Design Center:



The color palate box comes up and you can pick any one of Stampin' Up's exclusive colors, or any other color using the other options available on that menu.  I wanted to make my background Midnight Muse so I selected that.

And Voila!


You can also recolor embellishments in a similar fashion.  I wanted to add the helicopter from the On the Go designer kit, but the green wasn't really working with my color scheme. On the Design Center under Embellishments, click on "recolor" and follow the same steps above. 

When you recolor embellishments, it recolors the entire image in monotone colors.  It isn't the same as recoloring a stamped image where you can choose which parts of the stamp gets recolored.

And now for the semi-finished page:

Colors: Midnight Muse, More Mustard, Cherry Cobbler, Bashful Blue and Whisper White.  My Digital Studio Elements: On the Go Designer Kit, Flag Digital Punch, Alphabet Soup Digital Punches, Round Buttons and Brads.

No comments: