Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Perfect Pennants Take on Fabric

Here is a closer look at the "quilt square" I made for this past weekend's blog hop.  I had a lot of nice comments on it so thank you.  I have attempted quilts before and I come from a long line of quilters, but I gave up sewing several years ago so my skills are pretty rusty. 

But I LOVE the Spice Cake Designer Series Fabric.  It reminds me of my grandmother.  So I really wanted to give this a try.

I apologize that I did not take pictures of this as I was putting it together.  I wasn't sure it was even going to work when I started because nine pieces of paper cut with the same die does not produce the same result (the seam allowance makes up the difference.  So being unsure, I just jumped right in with the sewing machine and started sewing them together.  Luckily it worked. The only advice I would offer if you are going to use this die to make these triple windmills, is to trim the point off of them, just a titch. 

The other random concern I had was that most quilt blocks I know anything about have an even number of sides.  This shape has nine sides.  How the heck was I going to be able to do anything with that?  So I decided the easiest thing to do was to applique it to the fabric instead of trying to figure out a border for it. 


Once I got it on the square, I noticed this ribbon sitting next to my desk.  I knew it belonged on there somehow.  If I ever learned how to do mitered corners, I had completely forgotten how to do them.  So thank goodness Al invented the Internet.  Google knows all, right?


The button in the center was added for two reasons.  First it just looked so cute.  Second, due to my rusty sewing skills, the center wasn't quite perfect.  But I love these big buttons more than I ever thought I would.  So I put a piece of ribbon through it and used a little fabric glue to adhere it.

I'm still not quite sure what I'm going to do with this thing.  A pillow?  A wall hanging?  If you have any great ideas, please share them in the comment section. 

STAMPIN' UP! SUPPLIES:Spice Cake Designer Series Fabric and Buttons, Soft Suede 1-1/4" Striped Grosgrain and 3/8" Taffeta Ribbon. 

No comments: