Once I had my basic layout figured out, I put a moderate layer of Mod Podge on the canvas. Mod Podge is a decoupage medium that can also be purchased at the big box craft and hobby stores. The trick to working with Mod Podge is to get just the right amount on your project. Too much and it starts to bubble up. Not enough and the layer you put on top doesn't stick well enough. And you have to work quickly because it dries quickly too.
After you have your layer of Mod Podge on the canvas, place your first layer of paper right on top of it, smoothing it out as you go to keep it from bubbling. After that layer dries, you can add another layer of Mod Podge over the top and start adding the rest of your layers. I have found that giving the project a little time to dry in between decreases the amount of bubbles that appear on your project too.
For the flower, I wanted some dimension to it and didn't want it decoupaged to the canvas. I put a layer of Mod Podge on each part of the flower one so that it would have the same "texture" as the rest of the project. Mod Podge dries clear but does leave a dull coat over the project. I used dimensionals between the layers of the flower to really make it 3-D. Here's a close up picture of the flower:
|(A keep observer probably noticed the flower moved from the picture above. I had a hard time deciding just where it belonged and took this picture before I figured that part out.)|
I also did not decoupage the photo on to the project. I wanted to be able to change out the photo later when this one becomes out dated. I adhered it to the project with dimensionals too. And just who is that handsome group of people? It is my parents and all their children last summer at our family reunion. Can you pick me out of the group? I'll give you a hint, I'm the only daughter.
I did find out a thing or two by trial and error. Before I started, I tried using the Tea Stain Stampin' Spot from the Distressing Kit to "age" the canvas. Once I started putting the Mod Podge on it, the water-based ink pretty much washed off. So you will probably want to save yourself some time and effort and skip that part.
The other lesson learned is to stick with Mod Podge and not mix adhesives. For the title, I was in a hurry and didn't want to mess with the Mod Podge to adhere the letters to the base piece so I used regular Mono Multi Glue. I added a layer of Mod Podge to the top to give it the same texture and the letters aren't sealed down as well as the rest of the project is.
I made another canvas project at the same time I made this but I submitted it to Stampin' Up! for a contest. If it doesn't win, I'll post pictures of it in a few weeks.
Colors: Calypso Coral, Lucky Limeade, Pool Party, Very Vanilla, and Poppy Parade
Big Shot: Timeless Type Alphabet, Fun Flower, Island Flowers, Tasteful Trim and Labels Collection Framelits.
Punch: Fancy Flower, 1" and 3/4" Circles.
Accessories: Everyday Enchantment Designer Series Paper, Antique Brads, Crochet Trim, Distressing Kit
Other: Mod Podge, Canvas