Sunday, July 20, 2014

The Stamp Crew Review: Lovely as a Tree

It's time for another blog hop with The Stamp Review Crew.  I'm sure others have mentioned it, but our group was selected to make a display board for convention this year and it was so much fun working together to create this board, especially featuring stamp set that has been around for years: Lovely as a Tree. (The board also featured Flower Patch so watch for that in another upcoming hop).  Both of my projects were on the board so if you were at convention and wanted to get a closer look, here is your chance.  If you weren't at convention, then you get a chance to see projects from the display boards anyway.  (I call that a win-win!)

First, I have to say that I don't even own Lovely as a Tree and I think I'm the only demonstrator on the planet that doesn't.  It's a classic and still one of the top sellers for the company. Thankfully, this means that it was pretty easy for me to track down a set to borrow. (Thanks Erin!!)  Second, I try to work smarter, not harder, so both of these projects worked triple time: display boards, convention swaps and now here on the blog hop!

For my first card, I wanted to do something a little out-of-the-box and I wanted to use it for my "Something Old, Something New" swap at convention (older stamps paired with new items).  I have seen the pine tree from Lovely as a Tree used as a branch for hanging an ornament, so why not use it as a branch for a perching Halloween owl?

Colors: Blackberry Bliss, Tangelo Twist, Hello Honey, Basic Black and Whisper White.  Stamps: Lovely as a Tree, Alphabet Rotary and Just Sayin'.  Big Shot: Word Bubbles Framelits.  Punch: 2" circle and Owl Builder.  Accessories: Black Embossing Powder, Tangelo Twist Satin Stitched Ribbon.
And for my second project, I was thinking inside-the-box, or more precisely, a card-in-a-box.  And since we were suppose to use the new 2014-2016 In Colors with neutrals, I went with a Lost Lagoon and added some postmodern influences with the Back to Black Designer Series Paper:


Colors: Lost Lagoon, Whisper White and Basic Black.  Stamps: Lovely as a Tree and Perfect Pennants.  Accessories: Vintage Faceted Buttons, 1/8" Basic Black Taffeta Ribbon, Basic Black Embossing Powder, Sweet Sadie Washi Tape, Back to Black Designer Series Paper.

I hope you've enjoyed this look at Lovely as a Tree and hope you've found some new ideas and ways to use this favorite stamp set.  To navigate through the rest of the hop, use the buttons below or go to The Stamp Review Crew for a complete list of hoppers.
 http://stampin-style.typepad.com/stampin-style/2014/07/stamp-review-crew-lovely-as-a-tree.html  http://tinkerin-in-ink.blogspot.com/2014/07/stamp-review-crew-lovely-as-tree-edition.html

12 comments:

Yapha said...

Such great cards! Your owl on a branch is super fun and very clever. And the trees in the box are so elegant. What a great idea! Thanks for your hard work putting the display board together.

Unknown said...

Great projects, Paula. Love the card in a box. The Lost Lagoon looks great with that DSP.

Beth Beard said...

The Halloween card is so cute! I love how you made the branch and the card is the box is very pretty!

Deb said...

Love the creative use of this set! Love that card in the box idea!!

Carol Carriveau said...

Both of your cards are really wonderful - the first fun and different and the second very pretty!

Bandon, Oregon said...

LOL the Owl.... Love him... What Fun... Great fun projects showing off what else can be done with this stamp set... and out of the box ideas...lol..lol

Faith

Holly/Rubber Redneck said...

I love the halloween card and the pop up card is so elegant! Beautiful!

Cindy Beach said...

Paula, whenever I visited the boards, your owl was a BIG hit! No wonder, you really thought outside the box and came up with a super cute idea!
LOVE your box card. The black and white is amazing!

Mike said...

How ingenuous is this!? Love the color palette AND the whole design. I think I feel a CASE coming on!

Heidi Baks said...

Your Halloween owl made me giggle. What a great way to pick a classic set and think outside the box. Love the classic, neutral look of the card-in-the box. Ha, you're out of the box, then in the box. :)

Add Ink and Stamp said...

You made such fun projects! Doesn't it just make you want to own this set?! I love the colors and patterns you chose for your box and the Halloween card is brilliant!

Jill Coleman said...

Love both of your projects Paula! I haven't seen the tree image used as a branch - that is too cute. And your pop up box is super cute! I heard a few people by the display board "oohing and ahhing" over the fact that you fussy cut the trees! Just beautiful.