Monday, December 31, 2012

Pop Up Posies Box

Wasn't the Stampin' Addicts Spring Catalog Blog Hop Fabulous?  If you missed it, all the blogs should be deep-linked together so you can still see all the great projects.  You can start on my post.

First, it definitely does NOT feel like spring in my neck of the woods.  We have about a foot of snow on the ground and it is right around 20°F outside even as I type this.  So it did feel a little strange to be sharing Spring projects right now.  But that is OK.  Spring will get here eventually, right?  (One can certainly hope anyway.)

The project that brought the most comments and the most pins from the Blog Hop was the box.  So today, I am sharing the details of that with you.  On Wednesday, I will share the details on the candy wrappers and on Friday, the card.  Deal?  

Colors: Calypso Coral, Crumb Cake, Very Vanilla.  Stamps: Pop Up Posies Designer Series Kit and Flowering Flourishes.  Big Shot: Apothecary Accents Framelits.  Punches: Large Oval, 1-3/8" circle.  Accessories: Pop Up Posies Designer Series Kit (Flowers, Tag for the box top, Brad, Twine).
To start off, I made the top first so that I would know how big to make the box.  I placed one of the tags from the Pop Up Posies Kit on the Simply Scored board and scored from each of the notched edges to the one opposite.  So it looked like this:

You can tell from the picture, that I cut a slit in each corner so that it would fold in to make a box top.  I used Glue Dots to secure the corners because they are the perfect size for those little corners.  This makes a lid that is approximately 1-3/8" x 2-1/2" so I determined my box should be 1-1/4" x 2-3/8".  I arbitrarily chose to make it 4" tall.  You could adjust the height of the box to make it taller or shorter, but 4" seems like a good size to put a treat or gift in.

For the base, I started with a piece of card stock 5-1/4" x 7-3/4". If you want to stamp images on it to give it a background, do that now.  Then, placing the card stock the long way in my Simply Scored Tool, score it at 1-1/4", 3-5/8", 4-7/8" and 7-1/2".  Then flip it the other way and scored at 1-1/4" to make the bottom.  You can see what it looks like from the diagram below:

To assemble the box, you cut away the smallest tab from the bottom and then snip along the other score lines at the bottom until it meets the other score line (clear as mud right?  just do it like you would any other box like this.)

To decorate the top, I followed the instructions that came with the kit to make the flower and adhered it to the box top.  Then stamped, punched and tied the tag around the flower.  And voila!  You have a quick and easy box perfect for spring, when it finally gets here in three or four months. :)

Don't forget that the start of the Spring Catalog on January 3 also means the end of the Holiday Catalog.  So if you haven't purchased everything off your wish list from that catalog, be sure to let me know ASAP.  And since today is New Years Eve, I hope you all have a safe and fun time with whatever you have planned to celebrate the old and ring in the new.  I also wish you and yours a prosperous and blessed 2013!  Happy New Year!

3 comments:

Yapha said...

Such an awesome box! Thanks for the tutorial!

Mickey Roberts said...

Great tutorial, Paula! Love that you were able to take the time to figure it out. Blessings to you and your family for the New Year!

Tanya Boser said...

Thank you for doing to tutorial! It really is an adorable box :)